Tuesday, February 9, 2010

PotatoesauGratin and GarlicRubbedRibRoast

So I seen on another blog a challenge to try 20 new recipes in 2010.  I thought that will be easy because I'm forever trying something new.  However, a lot of them are things I would never serve again!  So I'm challenging myself, and you if you want, to find 20 new SUCCESSFULL recipes in 2010 that I will fix again!
I started out pretty darn good tonight!  I tried 2 and with a little tweaking, they will be ones I fix again and again!

Garlic-Rubbed Rib Roast

ALL YOU NEED:
1 6lb beef standing rib roast
6 Garlic cloves
1 Tbsp kosher salt (Love this stuff!)
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp dried thyme (I left this out)
2 Tbsp olive oil

ALL YOU DO:
1. Place roast in a roasting pan, fat side up.  In a small bowl combine garlic, salt, pepper, thyme and oil to form a paste.  Spread paste over fat layer of roast; let roast stand at room temperature up to 1 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 500.  Roast meat 20 minutes; reduce heat to 325 and roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer registers 145 F for medium rare.
3. Remove roast from oven.  Cover with foil and let stand 15 minutes before carving.



Pioneer Womans Perfect Potatoes auGratin

ALL YOU NEED:
4 Russet potatoes; scrubbed clean
2 Tbsp butter; softened
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup whole milk
2 Tbsp flour
4 cloves garlic; minced
1 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese; freshly grated

ALL YOU DO:
Preheat oven to 400
Smear softened butter all over the bottom of a baking dish
Slice potatoes then cut into 1/4ths
In a separate bowl, whisk together cream, milk, flour, garlic, salt and pepper.
Place 1/3 of potatoes in the bottom of baking dish.  Top with 1/3 of the cream mixture
Repeat 2 more times ending with cream mixture
Cover with foil and bake 3o minutes
Remove foil and bake 20 minutes more
Add grated cheese to the top of potatoes and bake 3-5 minutes more until cheese is bubbly and melted.





1 comment:

Renea Lynch said...

Yum!!! But where's the pictures?! :) I was thumbing through cookbooks today looking for new goodies to fix this week! This might be fun! At least one or two new recipes a month.