Thursday, August 20, 2009

Conversations With A 12 Year Old



Lately, Jia and Jacen have become 'buddies'. He has totally taken over the big brother role and spoils her, plays with her, defends her...
Jia and I picked Jacen up from school yesterday and got milkshakes... Guess who ended up having Jacen's? I thought we would share ours with Jia, but Lil' Miss felt she needed one all to herself. And Jacen obliged!
Well last night, Jacen, Jia and I had been to visit my Aunt and Cousin at my Mom N Dad's. Jia was a total ham all evening. She was being so adorable! On the way home in the van she was saying "Mom! See!" at everything and we were trying to get her to say "Jacen! See!".
I said to Jacen.... "I don't know what we ever did to deserve her." And he replied... in all of his 12 year old wisdom... "Nothing."






Wow. He left me speechless. He's right. Absolutely right. We could never do enough to deserve her. But, God.... with His amazing mercy and lovingkindness, saw fit to entrust her in our care. Not because we deserved it, but because He loves us. And because He loves Jia and because He sets the lonely in families!







Adoption is such a mirror of the Gospel. We also don't deserve forgiveness of our sins. We could never do enough to deserve what Jesus did for us. In fact, daily... I am undeserving of that Gift.
But! God demonstrated His love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
He didn't just tell us and expect us to believe it... He showed us how much He loves us!





He shows us every minute, with every breath if we would just listen to Him.
I'm so thankful for that amazing conversation with my 12 year old! Although, like most 12 year olds, his end of the conversation was only one word, it was powerful!
And yes, we went on to discuss the very things I just shared with you on our drive home!

2 comments:

Renea Lynch said...

Don't you just love the mind of a child (pre-teen) ;) Mine never ceases to amaze me either. And reading this post makes me think of the many MANY things God provides for us that we are so undeserving of. Congratulations again on your beautiful daughter to complete your family. Reading your previous posts and catching up made me think of how you describe Jia's transition and remember her fears and yours. I think when God commands us to care for orphans and people are called to adopt, He works in His own way to make those family bonds. He chose Jia for your family and He cared for her until the time was right to place her in your arms. Her peace and bonding with you all comes from the good Lord above and no one or nothing can change that. It's kinda' like a marriage vow "what God has joined together.."

The Tucker Troops said...

Hi Joy--I've been catching up with your blog. You have such a cute family. Jia looks so great...just beautiful! What a blessing. I'm sure you can...as I started to type....I read Renea's comment...I was just going to say something similar. Our God is a great Big God. He knows what we can handle. Then He gave us this light. Blessing. I can see that in your family. I hope we can meet all of you in the near future. Lucey has Goldenhar syndrome. I'm so glad He kept that from us...He knew we didn't need to know that info. I should go back through your blog to read if you have been to the surgeon....if you have any questions...I'd be more than happy to share our experiences.

God's Blessings to all of you----
Beth