Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Vow and Psalms









Geoff Moore Lyrics



At World Changers, our speaker sang (?) the chorus to this Geoff Moore song.
In the midst of the crowd, I stand alone and I make my vow
Whatever it takes, I will be faithful.
I love Geoff Moore and I'm surprised I wasn't already familiar with this song. Jack and I seen Geoff at a compassion concert in the Spring of 2006 and he spoke of his daughters. That was the year we began our paperchase!
Anyway, the WC speaker gave us the opportunity to make more than a promise, to make a VOW to God to be more diligent about reading and studying our bibles. I opted to take that vow, along with most of the other people there. It was at World Changers that I decided getting up before the sun wouldn't kill me. I could get up earlier and survive. That's what comes from having breakfast served at 6AM every day. So that is what I've done ever since. I get up earlier than usual and spend time with God, reading His Word. (This is something I like to do on my new front porch!) I always read my bible in the evening, but so much is going on and I'm wearing down from my day. I felt like it was the left overs. The bible tells us that early in the morning, Jesus went to spend time with the Father, (Mark 1:35) so He's set an example for us!
In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation. Psalm 5:3
But I cry to you for help, O LORD; in the morning my prayer comes before you. Psalm 88:13
Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
Psalm 143:8

So I still enjoy reading my bible in the evenings, I'm trying to read front to back and just started 1Kings. But in the morning, I recently decided to read through the Psalms. Something about reading about David through 1-2 Samuel, made me want to read the Psalms in the morning! :-)


So yesterday was Psalm 9 and here's what struck me... I'm reading along and Vs. 10 says this: And those who know Your name will put their trust in You; For You, LORD, have not forsaken those who seek You. I'm thinking how true this is that God does not forsake those who seek Him. Everything that's been happening with our family, particularly the adoption, just SCREAMS - God has not forsaken you! Then I read on, pondering that and I come to vs. 18, For the needy shall not always be forgotten; The expectation of the poor shall not perish forever. This really causes me to pause and take notice. Not only is God there with me always, but He's also not forgotten the needy and poor. It's like He's fullfilling 2 dreams at once, mine and our daughters. By fullfilling my dream, He's providing a loving family to take care of her, and vise versa.


So this morning I'm on to Psalm 10 and my bible says in the original text, Psalm 9 & 10 are one. Psalm 10 says this is vs. 17-18 LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will prepare their heart; You will cause Your ear to hear, To do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, That the man of the earth may oppress no more. I just think it's so awesome how His word speaks to me. I know someone else could read this and get nothing out of it. But to know that He's working in my life and at the same time, working in our daughters life, takes my breath away. It's neat to know that 2 lives are about to change, each a world apart. To think how are lives are about to collide and that God has orchestrated it all along. And since finding our daughter, my prayer has been to prepare her heart for her family. I've asked God to speak to her little heart and let her know a family is coming for her, to give her hope and help her not be afraid. So when I read that in Vs 17, it just brings tears... that's all I can say. He causes His ear to hear... Thank You Jesus.

Eternally Yours... JMS

No comments: